>> Saturday, May 16, 2009
MTV is coming up on it’s annual Movie Awards Show on May 31st. Throughout the years talented, and not so talented young stars have been nominated for such important categories as Best Male Performance, Best On-Screen Team, and Breakthrough Performance. In honor of this momentous occasion I will look back at the winners of a different, clearly more important, category: Best Kiss.
I rated them in order of least deserving to most deserving based on this criteria: my own personal opinion, my own bias, and my own agenda.
17. Briana Evigan and Robert Hoffman (2008) in Step Up 2 The Streets… because Who Cares!
16. Vivica A. Fox and Will Smith (1997) in Independence Day… because I watched it last week and I don’t even remember an exciting kiss so clearly it wasn’t that great.
15. Demi Moore and Woody Harrelson (1994) in Indecent Proposal… Demi looks way hotter now than she did then.
14. Gwyneth Paltrow and Ralph Fiennes (1999) in Shakespeare in Love… did anyone actually see this movie?
13. Natasha Henstridge and Matthew Ashford (1996) in Species: The Awakening… it got this far because it’s a Species movie.
12. Julia Stiles and Sean Patrick (2001) in Save the Last Dance… I actually like this movie, own the soundtrack but really?
11. Christian Slater and Marisa Tomei (1993) in Untamed Heart… this was a great kiss. But it was still with Christian Slater.
10. Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst (2003) in Spiderman…the infamous upside kiss- still they both bug me so it wasn’t that great.
9. Will Ferrell and Sacha Baron Cohen (2007) in Talladega Nights… meh, okay, funny but not really memorable.
8. Owen Wilson, Amy Smart and Carmen Elektra (2004) in Starsky and Hutch… it’s a three way kiss, it has to be in top 10.
7. Anna Chlumsky and Macauly Culkin (1992) in My Girl… classic.
6. Lauren Holly and Jim Carrey (1995) in Dumb and Dumber… classic, but in a different way.
5. Jason Biggs and Sean William Scott (2002) in American Pie 2… they probably liked it.
4. Sarah Michelle Gellar and Selma Blair (2000) in Cruel Intentions… they probably like it too.
3. Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore (1998) in The Wedding Singer… of course part of me still wants to make this number one.
2. Jake Gyllenhal and Heath Ledger (2006) in Brokeback Mountain… that was an amazing kiss.
And the number one best kiss of the MTV nominated kisses is…
1. Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling (2005) in The Notebook… hot. Seriously. Hot.