>> Saturday, November 26, 2011
Well, well, well. And on we go.
To continue the grandness that is 2011, we are now moving onto the Best Cover Songs. This is a topic that is very near and dear to my heart, as it has become one of my life long passions to collect the cream of the crop of cover songs. Here is my collection of fantastic 2011 cover song gems.
1. “Hello” – Lissie (Lionel Richie)
Taking a song that is basically a joke now a days and honestly making it amazing, is a feat within itself. Singing it like this, is heartbreaking.
2. “I Can’t Make You Love Me/Nick Of Time” – Bon Iver (Bonnie Raitt)
Taking a song I genuinely love, and making into something that is so unique and special, and yet not ruining the soul of the song is everything this cover achieves.
3. “American Wedding” – Frank Ocean (The Eagles)
This is not so much a cover as it a regimentation. But, if you listen to it, you will understand how fantastic, and creative Frank Ocean is.
4. “Hospital Beds” – Florence + the Machine (Cold War Kids)
The Original song here is one of my all time favorites. So, logically I should hate the cover right? I wish. It would make things so much easier.
5. “Million Dollar Bill” – Dawes/Middle Brother
I do not know who had this song first. Dawes or Middle Brother, so I have posted both for your enjoyment. Middle Brother is a side project of a couple of the guys of Dawes, it appears on their record first, but the live recordings of the song are out there for Dawes first, so it's a toss up. We all win.
6. “Losing My Religion” – Dia Frampton (R.E.M)
This is the one and only time you will see me posting a music clip from a reality show on this blog. I am adamantly against it. Don't get me wrong, I watch them all, but I cannot say, ever, that the songs are worth sharing on a regular basis. However, this song by Dia Frampton from The Voice is so incredible, it needs to be included here.
7. “Pursuit of Happiness” by Lissie (Kid Cudi)
Lissie is on a roll, and she has one more chance to impress you below in the honorable mention.
8. “Oh Boy!” – She & Him (Buddy Holly)
There was a release this year where some of the biggest names in tunes rerecorded Buddy Holly songs. The album is eh, but there are two tracks worth a share, and here is the first.
9. “Your Song” – Ellie Goulding (Elton John)
Another song that has become somewhat of a joke, that gets new life.
10. “You’re the One That I Want” – Angus & Julia Stone (Olivia Newton John and John Travolta)
Sometimes I listen to this song and love it, other times, it kills me. But, I think I like it more often than I hate it, so it makes the list.
11. “Lovesong” – Adele (The Cure)
This song is so Adele I didn't realize it was a cover until someone pointed it out to me. It is a cover song that I honsetly full-out love better than the original.
12. “Dearest” – The Black Keys (Buddy Holly)
The other Buddy Holly cover that deserves mention. The Black Keys can do very little wrong.
13. “Hiding My Heart” – Adele (Brandi Carlile)
Adele is having a good ass year. She is everywhere and she constantly takes other peoples songs and makes them her own. This Brandi Carlile song is great on its own, but Adele made it special.
“Bad Romance” – Lissie (Lady Gaga)