Best Soundtracks of the Decade (Stevie)

>> Sunday, January 24, 2010

A great soundtrack can make the movie. Who didn't want to see Pineapple Express with MIA's Paperplanes in the advertisement? Or, who didn't feel like their life had changed when Frou Frou's Let Go came on in Garden State? Some directors make music the heart of their movies like Cameron Crowe. Others don't recognize the importance of a well-placed, well-chosen song.


With that said, here are my favorite movie/tv soundtracks from the last decade.


20. 13 Going on 30 (2004)
Yes, it's a dorky movie and sadly I love it on Saturday mornings when nothing else is on (whatever happened to Saturday Morning Cartoons?) Despite the maybe less than Academy Award winning movie this movie has a great mix of 80's hits! Liz Phair, Madonna, and Talking Heads round out this awesome throw back soundtrack.













19. Amelie (2001)
Instrumental, French, and beautiful- Amelie's soundtrack is just as lovely as the movie itself.













18. Into The Wild (2007)
Yes, this is a little unique as it is all Eddie Vedder, but still it is an awesome soundtrack that pairs well with this film. I really appreciate the different sound Eddie Vedder brings to these songs, like you can really imagine yourself all out on your own, free, but alone.













17. I Am Sam (2002)
Of Beatles inspired soundtracks this one is my favorite. I will give a nod to Across the Universe but this one was just beautifully put together. I love the Black Crowes "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" and Ben Harper's "Strawberry Fields" just as much as the originals.












16. 50 First Dates (2004)
So the obvious thing here is that I love this movie but you may notice that the rest of this list is quite absent of Drew Barrymore movies. I don't blame Drew but she's not so much known for amazing movie soundtracks in her films. This one is an exception. A full album full of fun, warm-weather inspired love songs.













15. O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)
What made this soundtrack amazing was that it was totally unique. Instead of being filled with the regular routine of pop songs and covers by newer artists, this soundtrack made bluegrass folk music huge.











14. Save the Last Dance (2000)
I think Kyle and I listened to this soundtrack on repeat 15 times a day when this came out. I mean K-Ci & Jo Jo's "Crazy"- hell-o! Amazing!












13. Away we Go (2009)
A great movie that could have been even more. I'm not sure the world was ready for Maya Rudolph to be a serious actress and I'm not sure John Krasinski was ready to not be Jim Halpert but Alexi Murdoch did a lovely job making his next album, er I mean this soundtrack.












12. Curious George (2006)
This soundtrack isn't for everyone but for a Jack Johnson lover like me, and even moreso, a 2nd grade teacher like me, this album is perfect. Really beautiful songs that you truly can sing along to (and my students do!)













11. Almost Famous (2000)
A great soundtrack perfectly matched with the movie. This soundtrack made me fall in love with Simon and Garfunkel.












10. The Wackness (2008)
This is one of those soundtracks that brings me right back to my childhood. I can so clearly remember myself wearing dickies and listening to KRS-One or Tribe and thinking that summers lasted forever.













9. OC Mix #1 (2004)
Yes this is a televison show soundtrack and yes there are actually several different mixes but regardless this soundtrack deserves its spot on this list. This soundtrack changed the way soundtracks, particularly for television, were done. Now we expect more from our tv show soundtracks. Who didn't love when Seth put up the Rooney poster in his bedroom- before they were popular!













8. Pirate Radio (2009)
This one really wow'd me as it should since it's a movie about music. A great 2-disc soundtrack full of The Who, Cream, Otis Redding, Moody Blues, The Kinks... the list goes on and on. This is a no-miss soundtrack.












7. Slumdog Millionaire (2008)
Now this soundtrack isn't for everyone but I adore it. A collection of up-beat popular songs (MIA paperplanes) and original instrumentals this soundtrack speaks to my love of Indian pop music. Yay Bollywood.
















6. Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist (2008)
I'm going to say that this movie greatly disappointed me. I really expected something more and even the soundtrack wasn't the best I could have ever expected but it's still really good. Great songs from Bishop Allen, The Shout Out Louds and We are Scientists make me smile while playing this on my iPod.













5. Vanilla Sky (2001)
This is the second Cameron Crowe soundtrack on this list (and it's not the last!)- perhaps my favorite director and not just because his movies are beautiful but because he thoroughly thinks out his musical choices. Cameron Crowe is known for creating movies around the music instead of the other way around.














4. Elizabethtown (2005)
An amazing movie with an amazing soundtrack. Once again Cameron Crowe does a beautiful job of selecting music that makes this a powerful movie. The roadtrip soundtrack is impeccable- I am going to do that roadtrip!











3. Wicker Park (2004)
Not a great movie but a fantastic soundtrack. This is one I can play from beginning to end. This is when I discovered Broken Social Scene's "Lovers Spit" which I still listen to daily. Death Cab, Snow Patrol, Mazzy Star, and The Shins were unexpected lovely additions.











2. 500 Days of Summer (2009)
Not only was this my favorite movie of the year but I listen to this soundtrack daily. It's created like a novel, you listen to it all the way through and experience the highs and the lows. It's a musical journey.

















1. Garden State (2004)
Hands down my favorite soundtrack quite possibly of all time. It is perfection from beginning to end. Some say this soundtrack was bigger than Jesus. Okay maybe not but still! A great mix of old stuff and new indie, I play this one on repeat.

0 comments:

Post a Comment