Band of the Week: The Rural Alberta Advantage

>> Friday, May 28, 2010

I feel like this is a band that might divide some of my real music fan friends. I mean, the first run through of the record, I LOVED it like they invented indie rock. The second run through, I couldn't remember why I LOVED it at all. But the third listen, I fell into a mutual admiration comfortability relationship with it that I am completely satisfied with. Is it a "great" voice? No, but he sings with feeling and emotion, like whining in key, and I do not at all mean that as a slight. And its not what they do with their instruments that is impressive, its their refrain that shows strength and confidence in their sound. They let the quite be important. The missing bass guitar be an advantage rather than a detriment. It's quite something.... Listen to the first song below all the way through to really understand what I mean.

Introducing the band of the week....
The Rural Alberta Advantage
Anyways, I hope you enjoy, but if you don't, that's cool too. Not all music is for everybody.

"The Ballad of the RAA" (This is my favorite track on the record, and as is almost always the case, that means there is not a good video for the song)

"Drain The Blood" (Great song with a very cool little video)

"Edmonton" (this is a great studio session for a fantastic little track)

"In The Summer Time" (This song is growing on me, the video is just alright)

2 comments:

Stevie June 1, 2010 at 6:53 PM  

You must have emailed Kyle cause he was playing this yesterday- good stuff, good find.

Addi June 1, 2010 at 8:20 PM  

I actually posted on his fb a few months back. But I know he doesn't check that much so I wasn't sure he caught that or not. Pretty good eh? Thought it was up your guy's alley.

Post a Comment