Best of 2011: Album Covers

>> Wednesday, November 9, 2011

I am all for the digital age. I get nearly all of my music via digital download these days. I love the accessibility ease of use of the format. But, there is one part of this digital world that has really started to bother me; the concept of Cover Art has fallen to the wayside. I still go out of my way to LOOK at each and every album that I download, out of respect to the artists, but I know most people, pay very little attention. So, I hope this blog wakes some people up to the realization that just because you download a record, does not mean that the cover should be obsolete, as it usually speaks volumes about the artist and the noise you are about to digest.


Below you will find my 13 favorite Album Covers of 2011. I was going to write an brief rundown of why I like each one, but, I think my opinions here, outside of the list itself, are not necessary. Just enjoy the album covers, and realize it's art. 

1. Campfire Ok - Strange Like We Are

2. Wye Oak - Civilian

3. Noah Gundersen - B-Sides 

4. Ben Lee - Deeper Into Dream 

5. The Rural Alberta Advantage - Departing

6. Bryan John Appleby - Fire On The Vine 

7. Seapony - Go With Me 

8. The Civil Wars - Barton Hollow 

9. The Weeknd - HouseOfBalloons 

10. Summer Camp - Welcome to Condale 

11. Marissa Nadler - Marissa Nadler 

12. Yuck - Yuck 

13. Idiot Glee - Paddywhack 

3 comments:

Chris November 15, 2011 at 1:59 PM  

Just stumbled upon your site today, and decided to follow your blog. I love music too! Feel free to stop by and say Hi ( :

Nice list of album covers, Bryan John Appleby's cover is interesting to look at, and love the Seapony design. I compiled autumn 2011 album art work here, if you're interested:

http://moviesandsongs365.blogspot.com/2011/09/anticipated-albums-autumnfall-2011.html

Anonymous,  November 21, 2011 at 1:48 PM  

i have to say i was also in love with Givers album cover

Anonymous,  November 30, 2011 at 5:30 AM  

A good list. A few of my favourites in here to which I would add the Tim Hecker albums (Ravedeath and Dropped Pianos - which is a negative image of the former), Lykke Li - Wounded Rhymes, and The War on Drugs - Slave Ambient

Post a Comment