Best of 2011: Extended Plays (EP's)

>> Wednesday, December 7, 2011

I think the most horrific thing about all year end Best Of lists is the glaring lack of people celebrating Extended Plays, or EP as the common man calls him. Normally, as in years past, I would just include a snippit at the end of my best albums list to share my 5 favorite EP's. But this year is not a normal year, not for me, and definitely not for extended plays. This year, more than any other, probably spurned on by the digital age, as been a strangely strong year for EP's, so here are the best 16.

Side note. The general rule of thumb is an EP must be at least 3 tracks. Otherwise it would just be a single with a b-side. However, the advent of Bandcamp, and other digital download sites singles have kinda become obsolete, at least in my mind. So, for the purposes of this list, 2 track releases are going to be included as EP's.

Rather then break down each one, I'm just gonna let the music speak for it's self. Trust me, and pick up each and every one.

1. Pickwick - Myths
"Window Sill"


2. Grouplove - Grouplove
"Don't Say Oh Well"


3. FM Radio - Lead Me Home
"Lead Me Home"


4. Hey Marseilles - Elegy
"Cafe Lights"


5. The Oh Wells - The EP That We Love/Not The Girl From Transformers
"I Hate The Sun"


6. Lemolo - The Singles Record
"Open Air" - Lemolo


7. Clock Opera - Belongings
"Belongings"


8. Typhoon - A New Kind Of House
"The Honest Truth"


9. Lissie - Covered Up With Flowers
"Nothing Else Matters" (Metallica Cover)


10. Psychologist - Waves Of OK EP & Propeller EP
"Comes In Waves"


11. Niki and the Dove - The Fox
"The Fox"


12. Kim Churchill - Turn To Stone
"Will Go Home"


13. Great Waves - At The Bottom Of The Well
This I do have to include some words on. This northwest band, who played the opening slot of Bumbershoot in 2010 has long been on a hiatus. In fact, this song, and 4 others that used to be available on bandcamp, are no longer there. That makes me immensely sad. Out of all the bands I found in 2010/2011, this is the one I was most excited about seeing where they would go.
"Burial"


14. Ivan & Alyosha - Fathers Be Kind
"Glorify"


15. Lulu & The Lampshades - Cold Water
"Cold Water"


16. Angus & Julia Stone - Big Jet Plane
"My Malakai"

3 comments:

Richard G December 7, 2011 at 1:11 PM  

Nice list! I've been plotting my equivalent for a few days and, as luck would have it, there is no duplication between them!
It has certainly be a good year for EPs and mini albums. Let us hope the this momentum is maintained in 2012.

Addi December 7, 2011 at 1:43 PM  

Thanks! There has been an overabundance of tunes this year. Makes things very difficult to narrow down. I've been checking out your Thought On Music posts on the best albums of the year. I'm stoked to see Seapony and The Joy Formidable on there. Nice stuff.

vaifer October 1, 2012 at 5:07 PM  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSZvRXxJbuY

Post a Comment