Shit I Like, Vol. 1

>> Saturday, September 1, 2012

This is where I am going to share my varied opinions on shit I like.

Shit I like #1: John Green
I read a lot, (54 books so far this year) and lately, one author has really stood out to me. John Green. If you have not read "Looking For Alaska" or "The Fault In Our Stars" read them now, but bring tissues. LFA moved quickly into my top 3 books of all time, and that is a hard bunch to get into, and TFIOS has cemented itself into my top 20, but is growing on me more and more as I look back on it. I don't know if you use Goodreads, you should you know, but for any author to have 1 book with a 4-star or higher rating is very rare, John Green has 4.

Miles Halter is fascinated by famous last words and tired of his safe life at home. He leaves for boarding school to seek what the dying poet Francois Rabelais called the "Great Perhaps." Much awaits Miles at Culver Creek, including Alaska Young. Clever, funny, screwed-up, and dead sexy, Alaska will pull Miles into her labyrinth and catapult him into the Great Perhaps.
Looking for Alaska brilliantly chronicles the indelible impact one life can have on another. A stunning debut, it marks John Green's arrival as an important new voice in contemporary fiction
Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now. 
Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault. 
Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.


Shit I like #2: Hit and Run

Ok, from this trailer, you're probably like "what the hell Addi?!" and rightfully so. The trailer does the movie no justice. I went and saw this last night as a, lets-just-go-and-see-whats-playing kinda thing, and walked out thoroughly impressed. The car scenes, rad. The action scenes, rad. The comedy, pretty rad. And the chemistry between Dax and Kristen, super rad and believable. Also, I love her. 

Shit I like #3: The 90's

Right now, for whatever stupid reason, I am stuck on the nineties. I keep going back in my iPod and pulling out 3eb, the eels, live, the refreshments, tonic and new radicals. I know, random assortment of bands. I also keep wanting to wear my flannel shirts and listed to 107.7 the end. Something is wrong, but also so right. 





1 comments:

Kilian,  December 16, 2012 at 4:05 AM  

I'm also a huge fan of John Green's books, and now I'm of course interested in your Top20-list, always looking for new recommendations. Would be great if you could there them! Thanks! Kilian

Post a Comment