Bakers Dozen Best TV Romances of All Time

>> Sunday, January 4, 2009

Every list needs rules. These ones are going to be pretty simple.
1.The couple can not start the series as a couple. This would make it a relationship, not a romance.

2.It must be a TV show. Not a reality show. Duh.

3.The couple must end up together and stay together for more than one episode. So, Jerry and Elaine getting together at the end of season 1 does not count, because they were not together at the start of season 2.

Here goes!

Oh, and in case you have not noticed. I do not run my lists in reverse order. I want to give you the best first in case you get bored.

Please Comment if you quibble.

1. Kevin Arnold and Winnie Cooper (The Wonder Years)














The best TV Romance of all time if you ask me. Epitomized by the iconic I love you scene when Kevin climbs Winnies roof after she had just arrived home from the hospital and mouths the words "I love you" through the closed window. All while Bob Seger's "We Got Tonight" serenades the audience. Best scene ever.

2. Joey Potter and Pacey Witter (Dawson's Creek)














Ok, so I know most people never loved this show like I did (yes, I am a straight man), but there is something undeniable about this couple. Some of the best banter ever to come across the small screen.

3. Angela Chase and Jordan Catalono (My So Called Life)














This is one romance that I wish we could have seen play out. Their passion seemed to fade as soon as it began, keeping true to the realistic feeling of the show. This show died way too young. In fact, it would probably head up a list of shows that were cancelled too soon.

4. Veronica Mars and Logan Echolls (Veronica Mars)













The WB finds damn good chemistry when they cast these delightful little shows. This is the best show none of you were watching, and the back and forth of Logan and Veronica was the centerpiece of this masterful show. Word on the rumor street is that a movie version of this awesome little show is a distinct possibility.

5. Luke Danes and Lorelai Gilmore (Gilmore Girls)














Ok, so I am not trying to make the a WB list, but for whatever reason, they just do it right. Luke was cast as a character for the pilot only, he was never considered a part of the plan. That is, until they actually started the film and realized the rapport he had with the rest of the cast, Lauren Graham in particular.

6. Darlene Conner and David Healy (Rosanne)














Rosanne started the dysfunctional trend in TV romances, one that can be found on almost any major network anytime of the day.

7. Ross and Rachel (Friends)














What does it say about a couple when they are identifiable by first names alone? Iconic. Lobsters.

8. Chandler and Monica (Friends)














If I have to have Ross and Rachel then I must include Chandler and Monica who I actually liked better anyways. They remind me of a couple I know, half of whom writes for this blog.

9. Cory Matthews and Topanga Lawrence (Boy Meets World)














This is the kid in me. I still stop on an occasional rerun. I love that we got to see this go from the childlike teasing and to the crush to the dating to the marriage. What other show can claim that?

10. Oz Osborne and Willow Rosenberg (Buffy The Vampire Slayer)













I was trying not the put this on the list, mainly just because I did NOT want another WB show on here. I mean come on major networks, step up! Most people would include the doomed-from-the-beginning romance that was Buffy and Angel, but, I am not those people. The innocence of Willow and the quiet awesomeness of Oz kept me tuning in.

11. Charlotte 'Chuck' Charles and Ned (insert last name here) (Pushing Daises)













This is a new show, which sadly, will probably not come back. I urge all of you to watch and try and save it. The romance centers on Ned and his childhood sweetheart Charlotte "Chuck" who died. Yes, she is dead. But if you watch the show, you know that any dead thing that Ned touches comes back to life, at least until he touches them the second time. So, how does one have a romance when the can not touch? Plastic wrap, bee suits, plexi-glass dividers and very separate beds. It is one of the most endearing relationships on television.

12. Zach Morris and Kelly Kapowski (Saved By The Bell)













You always cheered for this couple, even if you cringed at the scripts and campy acting. Zach and Kelly were destined to be together, just ask Slater. But the real reason for this inclusion is because I am not sure I had a bigger TV crush growing up that Tiffani-Amber Thiessen, but honestly, could you blame me?

13. Brenda Walsh and Dylan McKay (90210)














This is a shout out to my sister, who kept yelling "Brenda and Dylan!" at me every 6 mins while I was working on this. This is to shut her up. It won't work.







3 comments:

Stevie January 5, 2009 at 3:36 PM  

this is the greatest blog ever written! I can't even top it, I might as well give up! Of course Kevin and Winnie are first and I love that Topanga and Cory are on there too. I went back and forth between switching #2 and #3 but I think I'd keep it as is. The only one that I would move is probably Ross and Rachel up above gilmore girls. My personal favorite was the Veronica Mars shoutout- Logan makes my heart sing :)

Addi January 5, 2009 at 6:58 PM  

Thanks Stevie! Yeah, I think if i would have made this list a while ago, Ross and Rachel would have been a bit higher, but i have kind of tired of them on the reruns.

I should have known you would have been a fan of the Veronica Mars wonderfulness. Most other people have not gotten the reference, it was truly a great, well written show.

Anonymous,  May 1, 2011 at 8:09 AM  

This is an O.K. list, but you forgot a few:
1. Sam and Diane, "Cheers"
2. Sam and Diane, "Cheers"
3. Sam and Diane, "Cheers"
4. Sam and Diane, "Cheers"
5. Sam and Diane, "Cheers"

Post a Comment