Songs That Make You Shut Up and Listen

>> Tuesday, January 27, 2009


Here are 20* (19 on the playlist, and one video) of my all time favorite songs that make you sit up and pay attention.


*Editors note. I have changed on song one here and added another since first published. Mostly, because I forgot about them until they came up on random on my iPod. So, enjoy. I changed Damien Rice "Lonelily" to "I Remember" it is just a more suitable song for this list. I also, added "Chemical Courage" by Jack Savoretti, an amazing little song from this overlooked artist. Again, enjoy.

I am not ranking these songs, because, in my opinion, one is not better than another. So, the songs featured on the playlist are just in alphabetical order. I am going to add a few insights into a random smattering of the songs.





Get a playlist!
Standalone player
Get Ringtones



Counting Crows - Colorblind
This is just one of those songs that I think will always be on someones list. It is just one of those songs that affects people. The swelling piano, broken heart vocals, and elongated lyrics make this a heart tweaker from the start.

Justin Nozuka - Save Him
This is one of the only songs that has actually gotten me to choke up. It is a story song about an abusive relationship that ends in the most tragic ways.

Maria Mena - Sorry
One of my all time favorite lyrics come from this track. "He grabs my wrists as my fingers turn into angry fists."

Peter Gabriel - I Grieve
Just listen. My sisters suggestion, and it is deserving.

Ray LaMontagne - Narrow Escape
This is another story song with a tragic end. A fugitive on the run spends one last night with his wife before going on the lamb. Ray can tell it better than I can.

"Well their love it was long
It was gentle and strong
And for a while she forgot his sins
And she kissed him for love
She kissed him for luck
She kissed him one time for a kid
Well they came in without a warning in the hours before morning
They come-a blasting through the windows and walls
And when the smoke it did clear
somebody cried out he ain't here
Killed ourselves a woman that's all"

Savage Garden - Two Beds and a Coffee Machine
I know, I know, Savage Garden. Yeah, I get it. But, hear this song and you will know why. It is about a woman escaping an abusive husband with her children. It is truly one of the most beautiful songs ever.

Tori Amos - Silent All These Years
"So you found a girl
Who thinks really deep thoughts
What's so amazing about really deep thoughts
Boy you best praya that I bleed real soon
How's that thought for you"
Seriously.... that is a wow lyric.

Tracy Chapman - Behind the Wall
No music, just vocals, with a blind third person narrator. The singer is singing about what she is not involved with, what she is just hearing. it is amazing. And no, I am not claiming that Tracy Chapman is "Blind." Just a phrase to describe her perspective.

Manchester Orchestra - How I Waited

I could not include this on the playlist, since it is not available to purchase, so, in turn, not avail on any of the legal sharing sites, and I am not a criminal. So, I found the live version on Youtube.com. If I were to try and rank these songs, this would be number one.



Please comment, we have changed the setting to allow anyone, even with out a blogger account to have their say.

2 comments:

Sarah January 28, 2009 at 9:11 AM  

HEY! I just thought of a another one. I totally take credit for the Maria Mena choice and Peter Gabriel- but I thought of something else...and maybe its just me but....

Talk Show Host- Radiohead.

Addi January 30, 2009 at 5:04 PM  

I listened to that radiohead song, but just did not feel it. hmmm.

And we found Maria Mena together, watching our (or rather my) favorite guilty pleasure show; "So You Think You Can Dance." So, no credit for you! lol

Post a Comment