My Year in Movies.

>> Sunday, January 10, 2010

This has been a hell of a year. I listened to a lot of music. I read a few really good books. But that was par for the course for me. What really made this year stand out, is the amount of movies I was able to take in. Out of all the films released in 2009, I have watched 67 of them. Of those 67 movies, 40 of those were watched in the theater. Yes, that is where all my money goes. But, seriously, my favorite time in the whole world is walking into a theater and picking out the best seat in the house, and sitting there, waiting to be surprised. The movie may be the best ever, or it may be Year One. But in that time, you don't know, and you don't need too. You are at the movies.


Best Movies of the Year



1. Up In the Air -- The most recent movie I watched, and the main reason I delayed this list until 2010. The is one of the best films I have ever seen. And everyday further I get from it, the more i take away from it. It is the kind of movie that sticks to the ribs. I 100% recommend it.


2. (500) Days of Summer -- When I first left the theater after watching this. I did not know how I felt about. All I could think was, I hated Summer. The girl, not the season. I felt like I knew her, and in many ways, I guess I did. We have all had our own "Summer" and I could not get past my dislike of her to value the film itself. But, then I watched it again, and I realized, that, if the movie was not so perfectly made, I wouldn't give a shit about these people. Since then, I have watched it a third time, and it has only gotten better.

3. The Hurt Locker --
This is my vote for the best film of the year at the Oscars. Now, with saying that, you are probably asking, why is it only 3rd on this list? Because I made this list, and I said so. No, this is a stark, jarring film that is brilliantly written, acted, and directed. It is really a masterpiece. It just did not have as big of a "personal" impact on me. And this is Personal Listologies.

4. Avatar -- Visually stunning. Great story. Original. Want to see again. Want to own.

5. Bandslam -- Ok. So, this is a big leap for most of you. BUT, hear me out. Out of all the movies I watched this year, this one was the most fun. Easily. It is a highschool movie, but it is not stereotypical in anyways. I walked away so pleasantly surprised from this film that I seriously cannot wait for it to hit DVD so I can buy it.

6. Zombieland -- I did not think I would like this movie based on the previews. I didn't think anything could top Shaun of the Dead in the Zombie parody realm. But, I did not laugh at any other movie than I did at this one. Another owner.

7. Coraline -- This was the first film I saw of the year. And still, to this day, it was the best use of 3D I have experienced. An enchanting, frightening children's story. A visual masterpiece that I still sit and ponder.

8. Inglourious Basterds -- Revisionist history at its best. It is Q at his best. It is Brad at his best. Fantastic Journey.

9. The Hangover -- Just read the poster. That sums this up. Looking forward the sequel. And you do not hear me say that often.

10. Star Trek -- I didn't want to enjoy this. I have never really been a sci-fi kind of guy. But this movie intrigued me, and was getting such stellar reviews, that I bit the bullet. Thankful of that choice. Very very good film.

11. Away We Go -- What can I say. I Heart this movie. Dave Eggers writing just sings off the screen. Both actors deserve attention for their preformances, but Maya blew me away.

12. I Love You, Man -- It seams that Jason Segal can do no wrong. Great follow up to the spectacular Sarah Marshall.


13. Gamer -- Seriously underrated movie. Saw it to see it. I see a lot of movies just to be in a theater. I had zero expectations. But this movie was very very surprising. Michael C. Hall is so impressive in this role. This movie is the reason I started watching Dexter.

14. Paper Heart -- The only documentary on my best of list. This is a sweet movie that you really root for. The kind of film you will collect, leave on a shelf, watch 5 years later and love all over again. Timeless.

15. Where The Wild Things Are -- This is not a kids movie. It's and adult who still can reach their inner child's movie. Breathtaking.







16. Push -- This is the first film on this list that I did not see in the theater. That was not by choice. I tried very hard to attend this movie. But was overuled on several occasions. Great little "realistic" super hero flick. Dakota Fanning is growing up and puts on a damn good showing in this little movie.



17. The Proposal -- I tried not to like this movie. I have a man crush on Ryan Reynolds. Is that ok to admit?








18. Fired Up! -- I can feel you judging me. Stop! Watch it and tell me that it is not one of the funniest movies in the last 5 years. It is this years Accepted.







19. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince -- Not the best of the series so far. But, this group doesn't know how to make a bad film. Super excited for the next two.






20. The Invention of Lying -- This could have been the best movie of the year. And, to be honest, it may not deserve this spot at all. However, based on the idea rather than the execution, I have to give it some praise. The most original idea for a film in the last 20 years.




21. Fanboys -- A film nerds movie. Truly fun and quirky. And Kristen Bell in a Princess Leia outfit? Come on. Undeniable.







22. Funny People -- A little on the long side, this film is what I like to call funny with heart. Some great moments, a few too many dull moments, move this movie lower than I expected based on the previews. Thought this was top 10 material for sure. Still a good watch though.


23. Taking Woodstock -- Truly entertaining movie. Great writing. Excellent acting. One of the many movies that got lost in the shuffle this year.








24. Up -- This should probably be higher. I love the opening story. Thought that could have been a full length feature. After that, the movie kinda teetered a little too much for me. They went for cute instead of story. In my opinion. But, still, its to 25, so I couldn't have been all that bad right?




25. Adventureland -- I had mixed feelings about this movie. Loved it the first time I watched it. HATED it the second time. And loved it again on the tired time. Don't ask why I watched it a third time, after I knowingly and publicly (via facebook) hated and slammed the movie. Sometimes these things happen. I have watched Step Up 2: The Streets at least 2 dozen times, and it is one of the worst movies I have ever seen, but I just cannot help but watch it. But, it paid off this time, with Adventureland. It is a winner of a movie.


Worst Movies of the Year.
  1. Year One
  2. Bride Wars
  3. The Ugly Truth
  4. G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra
  5. Couples Retreat (I really, REALLY, wanted to like this. Kristen Bell is my #1, but it was just bad)
Movies I think I liked, but need to watch a second time. (alphabetical)
  1. Fame
  2. I Love You, Beth Cooper
  3. Notorious
  4. Terminator: Salvation
  5. The Brothers Bloom
  6. Sherlock Holmes
  7. Sugar
  8. Sunshine Cleaning

Movies that I missed that I'm sad about.
  1. Adam
  2. Bad Lieutenant 2009
  3. Blind Side
  4. Boondock Saints 2: All Saints Day
  5. Brothers
  6. Fantastic Mr. Fox
  7. It Might Get Loud
  8. Men Who Stare at Goats
  9. Precious
  10. The Cove
  11. The Vampires Assistant
  12. Whip It
  13. The White Ribbon


For a complete list of movies released in 2009, that were watched in preperation for this blog, please view below, and be astonished.
(*) Denotes view in theater
  1. (500) Days Of Summer*
  2. 12 Rounds
  3. 17 Again
  4. 2012*
  5. 9
  6. Adventureland*
  7. Angels & Demons*
  8. Avatar*
  9. Away We Go*
  10. Bandslam*
  11. Bride Wars
  12. Coraline*
  13. Couple's Retreat*
  14. Duplicity
  15. Education Of Charlie Banks
  16. Fame*
  17. Fanboys
  18. Fast And Furious
  19. Fighting
  20. Fired Up!
  21. Funny People*
  22. G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra
  23. Gamer*
  24. Hannah Montana: The Movie
  25. Harry Potter And The Half Blood Prince*
  26. He's Just Not That Into You*
  27. I Love You, Beth Cooper*
  28. I Love You, Man*
  29. Inglorious Basterds*
  30. Julie & Julia
  31. Knowing
  32. Miss March
  33. Monsters vs Aliens*
  34. New Moon*
  35. Notorious
  36. Observe And Report
  37. Paper Heart*
  38. Paranormal Activity*
  39. Paul Blart: Mall Cop
  40. Post Grad*
  41. Public Enemies*
  42. Push
  43. Race To Witch Mountain*
  44. Sherlock Holmes*
  45. Star Trek*
  46. Sugar*
  47. Sunshine Cleaning
  48. Taken
  49. Taking Woodstock*
  50. Terminator Salvation*
  51. The Brothers Bloom
  52. The Goods
  53. The Hangover*
  54. The Hurt Locker*
  55. The International
  56. The Invention Of Lying*
  57. The Proposal*
  58. The Soloist
  59. The Taking Of Pelham 1 2 3
  60. The Ugly Truth
  61. Up In The Air*
  62. Up*
  63. Watchmen
  64. Where The Wild Things Are*
  65. Wolverine
  66. Year One*
  67. Zombieland*




2 comments:

Stevie January 10, 2010 at 4:28 PM  

Thoughts...I agree with many of your movies of the year (500 Days of Summer, Avatar, The Hangover, Away We Go) and some I haven't seen yet so I'm undecided (Taking Woodstock, Up in the Air, Inglorious Bastards). On the Worst Movies list: Couples Retreat! Seriously! It was so great! I think maybe you have to be in a couple to enjoy this kind of movie. Oh and Bride Wars! Really? It's brilliant and I don't even like chick-flick movies! In fact I hate Anne Hatheway. As far as movies you haven't seen yet - Whip It was most def in my top 3 movies of the year, sheer brilliance, so funny and well acted. By the way, I noticed a glaring error with not mentioning New Moon anywhere lol.

Addi January 10, 2010 at 4:39 PM  

You need to watch Up in the Air asap. or and check out Inglorious Basterds too.
As for the worst movies of the year. Seriously, Bride Wars may have been the worst movie in the last 5 years. I have never been so irritated with a movie in my life. Horrible concept. Horrible acting. Horrible Movie.
And i needed a 5th movie for my worst of. It was originally on my watch again list, but I needed to have an "even" number. So, I might not hate it that much. but shhhhh....

Post a Comment