Bakers Dozen: Best "And/& The" Bands

>> Thursday, September 2, 2010

First things first, I reserve the right to change this list at any time. Like maybe when my mind is working.

This is simple. I found bands that I love that have "And The" in their names and ranked them in order or preference.
Now, usually that means, a lead singer and a back up band, but, as you will see below, that is not always the case.
I know I left people out. I know I left some classics off the list. That may not be a mistake, it may be a choice, as I am a snob. But it could also just be an oversight, so, if you notice something missing, comment.

Enjoy.

1. The Head And The Heart
My current favorite band, and a northwest one to boot. This is the little band, that if they can keep their shit together, will storm the indie folk world by the end of next year. And, God, I hope they do. There are some bands I desire to keep secret, this will never be one of those. Infact, I'm gonna post two videos for them, just cause I love them that f'n much.

"Down in the Valley" (Live on KEXP)

"Ghosts" (also Live on KEXP)

2. the bird and the bee
This is a basic conundrum. Take an indie pop band, have them release an ENTIRE album of Hall & Oates covers and hilarity ensues, right? Nope. Wrong! This is an album that should not at ALL work, and yet is increasingly more charming upon each listen.

"I Can't Go For That"

3. Buddy Holly And The Crickets
I am not sure music would be where it is today with out Buddy Holly. Honestly.

"That'll Be The Day"

4. Samantha Crain And The Midnight Shivers
One of the best "and the" band names out there. Like, seriously, I need to know the story behind that. But, she is not just a name. Listen to this voice, the urgency, the power, the raw grace. And, if you get a chance to see her take the stage, do NOT pass it up, it is something that will stick with you forever.

"Lions"

5. Edward Sharpe And The Magnetic Zeros
I don't need to even see anything. Just watch the fucking video.

"40 Day Dream"

6. Bob Marley And The Wailers
I would be disowned if I left them off the list. By everyone I know.

"Stir It Up"

7. Ray LaMontagne And The Pariah Dogs
Normally, this guy would be dramatically higher on any list I put him on, but this is a new venture for the bearded musical messiah, and I am playing the wait and see game. But, so far so good.

"Beg, Steal or Borrow" (live on Sirius Radio)

8. Erland And The Carnival
This is both a new discovery and an old haunt for me. I fell in love with a singer songwriter name Erland Cooper back in 2002. He didn't release any albums, nor was he widely known outside of my ipod, but I loved him. Then he vanished, more so then he already had. Then last year, I googled him, and up popped a new band, and all was right in the world.

"My Name Is Carvival"

9. Pearl And The Beard
This band will never be more then they are. They are not going to climb any charts or sell out arenas, they will never have a top 10 single or be featured on Grey's Anatomy, but they will always do this shit well. They will pack a bar so it is standing room only and get the building to bounce off its foundation, they will lead a clamorous sing along in a park, and they will have more fun than anyone else.

"Oh, Death!"

10. Ryan Adams And The Cardinals
This is too low. But, I like old school, just post WhiskeyTown, Ryan Adams. Gold Ryan Adams. So, this is not bad, but it's just not mine.

"Two"

11. Grace Potter & The Nocturnals
She has a new album out that does not do her any justice. This, and maybe one other song are the only ones that really show the real bite that Grace Potter has in her live act.

"Paris (Ooh La La)

12. The Dutchess And The Duke
I buy all these different artists and albums, and then I never take the time to listen to them. And sadly, The Dutchess and the Duke have fallen into this little trap of over purchasing. But, then, on shuffle, a song will come on that stops me dead in my tracks, and 6 times out of 10, it is this lovely duo. Now, this is my favorite tune of theirs, but there is not a quality video of it, so you will just have to listen on this go around.

"Reservoir Park"

13. Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers
Overrated, but the quintessential example of this topic/list. And, do not hate me for that. I dig on a few songs, but they are not hall of fame material.

"Mary Jane's Last Dance"

Bonus
Hootie And The Blowfish
So, I am prepared to get bagged on for this pick. But I think there is just a Hootie backlash because they got so big so fast. They became uncool to like. But, there is something about them, and considering, this cut is from the 15th best selling album of all time, and 5th best selling since 1990, you know you secretly love it.

"Hold My Hand" (Unplugged)

0 comments:

Post a Comment