>> Wednesday, December 8, 2010
Below you will see the albums ranked in their new order with the original ranking in parentheses. You will also see my original introduction for this list, as well as each original review listed as they were back when first posted. I have put my updated thoughts from March in a lovely shade of lilac, and my insights from June in a manly shade of green. My newest and final updates of the year are going to be an annoying hue of orange.
2. The Temper Trap – Conditions (Previously #3, #4, #2)
Everything I added about fun can be said about this record too. It is still as complete of a record I have heard all year. Still listen to it all the time. Mostly on my way home from work when I need to get the rock out.
So, this moved up. I'm just as surprised as you are. But, when I look though my most listens playlist, 7 tracks out of the top 50 belong to this record, 3 in the top 10. Yeah, those are staggering numbers. Seeing these facts, I sat down and really reexamined this record and realized that I was severally undervaluing it. Any other year and this would have been a number one record.
3. fun. – Aim and Ignite (Previously #2. #3, #3)
4. The Swell Season – Strict Joy (Previously #9, #2, #4)
5. The XX – XX (Previously #4, #5, #5)
6. Manchester Orchestra – Mean Everything to Nothing (Previously #5, #6, #6)
7. The Antlers – Hospice (Previously #11, #7, #7)
Another big gainer on the list. As I wrote 3 months ago, this is a novel of a record. It builds and stories in ways that, I, as a pseudo writer only dream to do. I expect this to keep climbing, slowly, as it is a record that cannot be listened too, too often, without wanting to slip into a depression coma. And that is a very good thing. It is an impactful record.
8. Hey Marseilles – To Travel & Trunks (Previously #12, #8, #8)
The final album to make a big jump. And I think this is probably where it belonged all along, and if I had found the record earlier, it would have been at least this high. Beautiful, deep, introspective record.
9. K’naan – Troubadour (Previously #8, #9, #9)
10. Paolo Nutini -- "Sunny Side Up" (Previously NR, #10)
11. White Rabbits – It’s Frightening (Previously Honorable Mention, #11)
It sounds like standing up too fast. A musical head rush.
12. The Cave Singers -- Welcome Joy (Previously HM)
13. BOAT– Setting the Paces (Previously #10, #10, #13)
- Choir Of Young Believers – This is for the White in Your Eyes
- Fanfarlo - Reservoir
- Fruit Bats - Ruminant Ban
- Owl City - Ocean Eyes
- The Civil Wars – Live at Eddies Attic
- the dodos – time to die
- The Tune-Yards – Bird-Brains